Subject: Re: Giulio Neri
From: Paul Ferraro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 27 Oct 2016 10:32:38 -0400

I consider this  the greatest confrontation scene in all opera.  Recalling
the best I've seen/heard was between Talvela & Ghiaurov - seriously, the
temperature rose & you could almost see the sparks flying.  There were other
great interpreters: Plishka & Hines; Tozzi & Uhde; Neri & Christoff & on &
on.  But the one with Ghiaurov & Talvela is burned in my memory as a
standard!

Just think what Norman Treigle could have done with the Inquisitor.  Also,
didn't Levine try to convince Tito Gobbi to add the role to his list of
characterizations?  Hmmmm, perhaps it will be PD's final &  last hurrah :>)

DonPaolo