Subject: Re: The Old Metropolitan Opera House
From: Laurence Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 26 Oct 2016 11:19:20 -0400

Don Kane writes: "It was not a dump; who savors the "magic" of a dump and
"loves going there"?"

Kane must be pretty dense.

The building exterior was undistinguished and homely; and although well
located, was in an undistinguished area. The front entrance lobby was just plain
ugly, looking liked an old, outdated train station (on a good day). The lobbies on
39th and 40th were just as dingy.
Also, the sets were put on the street after performances in the rain and snow;
and the dressing room areas were similarly seedy. What a dump!

But, entering the auditorium itself was magical and wonderful. No matter how
many times I attended performances, I was always thrilled to be there (I
attended many performances between 1954 and the closing). And I loved the
gold curtain. It was all just special--period!

Yes, Don, I loved going there. Some people do love "dumps"!