Subject: Re: The Old Metropolitan Opera House
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 26 Oct 2016 09:53:35 -0400

I never saw a production in the old Metropolitan Opera House, - and I
saw as many as I cared to between 1942 and 1966,  - that appeared
to be in any way hampered or degraded or compromised by the
exigencies of backstage space or of scenic wear and tear so often
attributed to the apparent lack of storage space, a legend somewhat
dependent on the recollections of passersby who recall observing
the flats stacked along the building's Seventh Avenue wall, but who may
never have ventured inside.

It was not a dump; who savors the "magic" of a dump and "loves going
there"?

Detractors have always enjoyed repeating the "yellow brick brewery"
remark, not realizing that to resemble a brewery in the 1880's, could
actually
be an architectural compliment of sorts, because breweries,  of which there
were many in and around New York at the time, were designed and built with
aesthetic pretensions befitting the popularity and quality of their product;
even the remote borough of Richmond, in which, I grew up, could boast of
several.  The yellow bricks were of the finest quality, (I still have a
few), and much more expensive than common red ones.  The facade of the
building was
graced with tons of matching terra cotta ornament, in a dignified, but not
ostentatious Beaux Arts manner; ostentation having been reserved for the
glamorous interior, admittedly, at the traditional cost of poor sight
lines. I
have read recently that there are still famous Houses in Europe where one
can purchase expensive seats from which the stage is invisible!.

It was a place that reflected the tastes, and requirements of its place and
time, as does the present uptown successor,  which may likewise have
outlived both taste and suitability.  That's New York.

dtmk