Subject: Re: Stimme as Isolde? Meh
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Oct 2016 18:31:11 -0400

Malagrida - The most aptly named singer in my experience.

She sang the "Trovatore" Leonora when Rota Gorr sang her first Met
Azucena. Gorr was as great as it ever gets (a friend standing next to
me wondered if the chandellier would survive the sheer size of her
voice) and Malagrida was the dictionary definition of why people don't
like opera. She had no redeeming qualities, perhaps the most
incompetent performance I have ever heard. For the record, it was
Gorr's finest Met performance, at least among those I saw, and it
remains among the dozen or so most impressive operatic events in my
experience.

Bob