Subject: Re: The Don
From: Sue Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Oct 2016 21:37:07 +0000

Why listen if you are dismayed?
For the same reason you buy a ticket for a future event knowing it's a game of chance -- chances are you'll like Mozart and the opera, and you'll probably be OK with the singers and on and on, but chances are also good that it won't be the greatest thing since peanut butter and jelly or the second coming of Cesare Siepi or Maria Callas.

It's a chance we take.
I saw the previews in movie theater around T&I. Those moments didn't move me to buy a ticket in the face of certain disappointment. I stayed away from simulcast and encore, won't watch when it reaches PBS.
Now. That said, I don't go onto the fan page and debunk the delight of newcomers who are enchanted by what they see and hear. It's their turn to be wildly enthusiastic, and they will develop their own discernment in time.

Likewise it isn't necessary to label someone who wasn't delighted as a "sad person." I appreciate dtmk's take: " . . . he sounds disappointed, but very sure of what a great performance of a great opera can be. That takes years of happy listening."

I'm aiming for a few more years of happy listening and good luck in avoiding disappointments.
Sue HarrisonDallas, TX