Subject: Re: The Don
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 23 Oct 2016 18:56:24 -0400

"WRONG"???

(So, maybe Mr. Kane is actually mr. trump, lol?)

I suppose the real problem is the way many of us may sometimes anglicize the title, so
that it sounds like the English "Don" as opposed to the rounder vowel of the Spanish/Italian
word. (Or even further, so we wind up with Don Gee-o-va-nee as opposed to the proper
Don Joe-van-nee, complete with the idiomatic slight lingering of the Italian double
consonant on the "nn.")

I mean, there are lots of operatic women seemingly named Donna too. Donna Anna, Donna
Elvira...Donna Nonvidimai...;-)  (And exactly who are Violetta and Dame Quickly singing
about when they mention "povera Donna?")

And I guess Scarpia isn't only evil, but just not very good with names - after we clearly
know that Tosca's lover is named "Mario, Mario, Mario," he goes and refers to him as
"Louie."

;-)