Subject: Re: The Don
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 23 Oct 2016 15:03:27 -0400

So the truth is out: there are those who actually think of "Don" as
a given first name attached to the assumed surname of Giovanni.

WRONG!

Maybe Da Ponte assigned him with a surname, I haven't looked it up; but I
do know that the character's first, or what used to be called Christian
name,
is Giovanni, and that Don was an inherited title raising him a level or so
above the common Signore.  No assortment of letters added can change the
titular Don into anything else.   I was hoping that the unpopularity which
frequently
seems, among those who post here, to surround the Republican candidate
for President, might initiate a phasing out of so inelegant a usage of
"the"   before a man's first name, and extend the procedure even to
Mozart's opera,
no matter how ingrained that cumbersome familiarity has become.  I wonder
who started it; perhaps it's good Italian, but to my ears, it has always
sounded dreadful in English.

dtmk