Subject: Re: The Don
From: Dennis Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 23 Oct 2016 02:06:00 -0400

In a message dated 10/22/2016 5:40:05 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Mathew Rose was fine as Masetto.  I liked his comment during  intermission
that Masetto was the only character to actually get what he wanted  at the
end.

    Hi, Y'all!
    I respectfully disagree with Ron, here. I  thought Mathew Rose's acting
was very wooden.  Vocally, he was okay, but  both the bitterness and the
helplessness in "Ho!  Kapitan!"   needed to be stronger and edgier.   (Maybe
Walter Berry ruined this  part for me years ago.  I have seldom liked the
Masetto in any production  of this opera lately.)
    But at the end, DOES Masetto really get what  he wants?  He and Zerlina
are going to be married, and live forever with  the knowledge hanging
awkwardly between them that she fancied a nobleman  when she thought she had a
chance with one; and when plan B suddenly fell  apart on her, she reverted
quite opportunisitically  to plan A.  Yes,  they DO genuinely love each other,
but it that going to be enough?
    I really LIKED the fact that the Don was  played by a lighter-voiced
singer than Leporello was.  Somehow, to me, a  lighter-voiced singer sounds
"oilier," and more like a con-man.
    Best,
    Dennis Ryan