Subject: Re: The Don
From: Ken Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Oct 2016 20:56:07 -0400

Could anyone make out what Keelyside was trying to saying during
intermission? I didn't catch all of it due to people in our aisle leaving,
but he seemed to want to tie together the French and American revolutions,
Darwin, and "the sexual freedom we have now," or some such phrase. Was there
really a coherent thought there? Was he citing the Don's libertinism as a
form of freedom, or just noting that the opera explored an idea in currency
at the time (and obviously still)?

To my (admittedly inexpert) ears, the singing was good but not great, even
when it was most moving (Donna Anna, Don Ottavio). As for the production, I
realize this is an opera where the director can play up or play down the
humor, but while this production delivered the obvious laughs, it
underemphasized humor in its conception of The Don, Donna Elvira and
Zerlina, and was consequently a little colorless at times. (My wife
disagreed). For example, it's one thing to show the Don as evil, but
Keelyside was just plain irritable sometimes - completely in character for
the character, I know, but it could make the proceedings rather grim.
Zerlina too, seemed unnecessarily joyless, and her Masetto wasn't blessed
with the most mobile of faces. And why were the peasants all standing around
lifeless in the doorways before the Don's party really got going, as if was
2 in the morning and everyone was already tired and sated? I did think, in
the final scenes, that the statue looked fantastic.

All in all, I'm glad I went, but mostly for Mozart and Da Ponte. Which I
suppose is how it should be anyhow.