Subject: Re: Fabiano
From: RAYMOND GOUIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 16 Oct 2016 02:23:22 -0400

There is another, personal and non-vocal side to a career as an opera singer.  Unless you have been involved in the process. it is impossible to be fully aware of the determination and dedication that it takes to reach a position in which you can survive economically let alone attain notice and fame.  Along the way, singers sometimes if not often loose sight of the fact that they have -- or should have -- lives outside of the opera house.

One time, when Jess Thomas was staying with me and my wife while he was visiting Boston, he advised that he was anxious to get back home to San Francisco because Christmas was coming and he had set a block of time to be with his family and decorate the house for the holiday.  He also noted that this was his second family, as he was divorced from his first wife and children.  He said that he was so busy forming and maintaining his career, that he never saw the children from his first family grow up and all of a sudden they were in their teens.  He told me that he was determined that this not happen again now that he had another chance with his second family.

I was a sailor and an ocean racer (Lightning Class) in my younger years.  The first thing you were taught was the primary rule to always be followed by a sailor -- one hand for the ship and one hand for yourself.  That rule should also apply to all things in life, including operatic careers.

Best.

Ray

***