Subject: Re: Women Last !!
From: Wendell Eatherly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 15 Oct 2016 06:05:35 -0400

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 13:09:23 -0400, Ken Levy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I notice on most European castings lists whether it be an opera recording or a live
>performance, all the men are listed first and then the women, irregardless of their
>role's importance.  I can understand the tradition of such listings, but how do they
>get away with it today?

Like others, I don't know if "most" is correct.  Anyway, when it does happen, I think it's
usually because they follow the cast listing in the printed score.  Not all scores do this, but
some examples I found in my library include the Sonzogno piano-vocal score to "Adriana
Lecouvreur" (Adriana's listed right after the major-domo), and both piano-vocal (Kalmus)
and full orchestral (Dover reprint of a 1904 score published by E. Fromont) of Pelleas, both
of which list Melisande and Genevieve after all the men (even Le petit Yniod).