Subject: Re: "Guillaume Tell" Tonight
From: Michael Liebert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 19 Oct 2016 08:51:41 -0400

"splendid production"

Uh, no.

This is another bare stage production where chorus members bring their own
little seats on and off the stage, and use them as weapons in-between.
There's a weird bridge which is sometimes a boat suspended above the back of
the stage.  Sometimes there's an upside-down moose suspended high over the
stage front; and there's his mirror image right-side-up above him when the
action begins.  There were a few unreal rocks sometimes scattered around.
(These reminded me of Opera Theater of Montclair's recent Acis and Galatea
scenery, but Montclair's were more real looking.)  There were some frames
that served as houses wheeled on and off the stage that had a high-school
production look to them.  The bad guys wore black.  That helped.

I love this opera, or maybe I should say I love the music.  I've never
really been sure what was going on.  This was the first time I ever saw it
performed.  Listening again this morning on my half hour drive to work, I
still wasn't sure what was going on.

I suppose the performance was okay.  But I think my three commercial
recordings are better, especially the Italian Chailly one.