Subject: "Guillaume Tell" Tonight
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 18 Oct 2016 23:51:54 -0400

Magnificent broadcast of the prima of "Guillaume Tell" tonight.  Everything was superb -
conducting and orchestra, singers and chorus.  And what a great, thrilling opera!  Long -
there were very few cuts tonight (evviva!) - but dramatically intense and musically rewarding,
from the crackling overture to the majestic finale.

Special mention for Bryan Hymel in the impossible killer role of Arnold; just listening to the
tessitura makes my throat bleed.  Hymel really sang the socks off the part, although he
sounded a bit near the end of his tether in "Amis, secondez ma vengeance" (made it through,
though, high Cs and all).

A truly great night at the Met, and a truly great opera restored to the repertoire.  I can't wait
to see this in-house later this month.

MDW