Subject: Re: Fabiano - yea or nay?
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 18 Oct 2016 12:02:53 -0400

Tom and list

It's simple! Voice and vocalism are entirely different aspects of singing,
but
they are farr too often conflated as being synonymous. There was a terrific
lady on opera-l who refused to buy that concept. Her name was Barbara
Jackson; she passed away some time ago. Anyway, Radvanovsky sang
a Don Carlo broadcast a number of years ago and Barbara listened to
much of it in my apartment. She hated Radvanovsky's voice, and, when I
asked her to listen to the vocalism, she responded that they are one and
the same, and if you don't like a voice, you can't like the singer. I
decided
not to pursue it!! She is not alone, and it is only one of many reasons
why criticism is compromised by ignorance and bias.

As Daniel Patrick Moynihan famously said - You may bring your own
opinions but you may not bring your own facts!

Bob