Subject: Re: Fabiano - yea or nay?
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 18 Oct 2016 14:38:21 +0000

Just because one doesn't particularly care for the sound of singers voice, does not mean one thinks that singer is terrible. I certainly do not think Fabiano or Sondra are terrible, it is just that the overall sound of their voices do not appeal to me.  Unfortunately, I have not seen today's top singers live, so probably should not be judging their actual sound.  I have no doubt that Sondra is a great singer, certainly better than Tebaldi was, but to my ears Tebaldi until 1960 had a more beautiful sound for the roles she sang.  I accept that some of my favorite singers of the past who I saw live: Sutherland, Caballe, L. Price, A. Maliponte, Nilsson, Bjoner, Zeani  Sills, Bergonzi, Corelli, Gedda and Tucker had their flaws which were outweighed by their overall vocal sound and artistry.  From what I have seen on TV and You Tube, of today's stars, I am very fond of: Nebtrebko, Meade, prime Voigt-who I have seen live, Kaufman, Florez, Fleming, Gheorgiu, Vargas, and Pitor B. No doubt there are other very fine singers today that I am not at all familiar with.  To each his own!