Subject: Re: Fabiano
From: Jean Michel Pennetier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 17 Oct 2016 12:06:38 +0200

I heard Fabiano for the first time as Edgardo in 2013. Yoncheva was Lucia. A terrific performance of huge voices in belcanto.
He came back for Faust in 2015. I had mixed feelings. « O nuit d’amour ! Ciel radieux ! » was musicaly perfect, but « Salut, demeure chaste et pur » was very cautious, like Fabiano was preserving his voice for the high C. And he quiet missed it, pushing the voice without reaching the note.
When I saw him for the last time as Poliuto in Glyndebourne, he had even less squillo, and more difficulties in producing high notes. The medium register was very powerful, high register quiet tiny.
I’m not surprised he’s now trying new roles, less exposed but it reminds me many other tenors progressively losing their voice.

Jean-Michel.