Subject: Re: Fabiano - yea or nay?
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 16 Oct 2016 11:51:27 -0400

I don't find Fabiano's sound "generic" at all.  I think it is a thrilling sound with a lot of
Italianate ring to it, and beautiful to boot.  He is singing Faust for HGO later this month, and
I am looking forward to it.  Moreover, Fabiano is a singer who communicates and draws me
into what he is singing.  I think he is one of the very best of the current crop of tenors, and
I have thought that ever since "The Audition" that followed the Met National Council
Audition finalists.

BUT...I do agree that Fabiano has a tendency to push and to sing too "open," and that does
not bode well for the future.  I remember several of the judges in "The Audition" remarked
on how Fabiano sang too open in the passagio and pushed too much, and he did.  Hearing
him since, I have thought that he had much improved in that regard, but I agree that he
still has a tendency to push.  Actually, his voice reminds me a great deal of Jose Carreras,
with the same beauties but also the same pitfalls.  It will be interesting to hear how he does
in Faust.

Here is an example of the kind of singing that concerns me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wvr_ouNQ0k

And here is an example of Fabiano at his best (sounding like a young Carreras):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg_yzB60R0w

I think it is silly to write his vocal obituary at this point.  (Amazing how some Listers relish
that ghoulish passtime.  Does it give them a feeling of personal significance?)   But there is
certainly cause for concern.  It will be a great pity if he flames out, a la Villazon, because he
really is an exciting talent who (hopefully) will be with us for a long time to come.

MDW