Subject: Re: So it's big vibratos that make voices carry?
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 16 Oct 2016 19:51:54 +0800

Around 20-some years ago, I started noticing how very rare it had become to hear a steady voice, particularly in the "big" roles.

There are some.  I've never heard Anja Harteros, Jonas Kaufmann, Angela Gheorghiu or Bryn Terfel wobble.

But the same is true of legato - definitely an endangered species.  The above named sing legato.  So does Stemme but the sound itself is tremulous (in ways that sound much worse as heard via a microphone than if you hear her in the house).

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone