Subject: So it's big vibratos that make voices carry?
From: William Albright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 16 Oct 2016 06:01:15 -0500

This sentence appears in the new issue of *Texas Monthly*’s article about
Texas-born tenor Jay Hunter Morris: “In order to project to the back of the
house, opera singers learn to open up their throats and unleash a big,
robust vibrato, the vocal oscillation opera singers make when they hold a
note.” Actually, it’s free tone with focus and point, not oscillation, that
enables a voice, even a small one, to carry in even the biggest opera
houses. That astonishingly uninformed utterance gives a pass to the
unsteady, diffuse tone produced by even the biggest stars in opera today
(I’m looking at you, Nina Stemme, Anna Netrebko, Diana Damrau, Patricia
Racette) and can only justify more of the same from future singers. Also,
when singers try to "make" vibrato (think Bert Lahr's Cowardly Lion), they
are interfering with the free, relaxed flow of tone. And while I’m at it,
there are also many stars who never learned to open their throats (don't
get me started). Let the brickbats begin.
bill albright