Subject: Re: Tristan
From: Michael Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 9 Oct 2016 09:49:30 -0400

I was in the house, overcome at the end of the first act. I have seen four
extraordinary Isoldes: Nilsson, Waltraud Meier, Dame Gywneth and Nina
Stemme. She had it all yesterday, matched by Skelton who did not tire as he
did at the prima, Gubanova excellent, and Pape was extraordinary. Nikitin
did not add much, to me. Rattle and the Orchestra superb. The production is
a mess and I will avoid it. One reviewer had it right when they said the
director had reduced it to a "daddy" drama for Tristan. And naturally,
unless you're a swell and sitting dead center, well, tough luck.

Mike