Subject: Re: "Samson et Dalila" Paris Cemeteries and Saint-Saens
From: Clarissa Cheer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 13 Oct 2016 02:45:11 -0400

While on the subject of Camille Saint-Saens, and his "Samson" I was given a
delightful and fascinating book on my birthday by a dear friend, knowing my
interest in tracing lost relatives in European cemeteries. "Stories in Stone
Paris. A field guide to Paris cemeteries and their residents." written by
Douglas Keister.(All photos in color) The book also includes a map and short
biographies.

On page 135 is a colour photo of the chapelle style mausoleum of Charles
Camille Saint-Saens in the Paris Montparnasse cemetery. The Montmartre
cemetery Paris is over 28 acres and is the finale resting place for artists,
writers, composers and others. Hector Berlioz, Jacques Offenbach, Edgar
Degas, Vaslav Nijinsky, Alexander Dumas Fils, Stendal, Emile Zola. The
former holds the tomb of Guy de Maupassant. Jean Seberg, Jean Paul-Sartre.
the book covers the Passy cemetery as well, plus many others, but not Maison
Laffette cemetery outside of Paris where my Lablache family are buried.

Pier-Lachaise, outside of Paris is the most famous and largest of them all.
The first garden cemetery it is a joy to walk around under shade trees,
among the beautiful stone sculptures. I've visited two times many years ago,
once during light rain, and I could not ignore the little signs on the
trees, that said "to Jim". For me I understood nothing, but I was to find
out soon enough it was to Jim Morrison's grave, one of the most famous
residents.(Doors). His grave stone was ruined by graffiti then, now I see
there is a fence to keep people away. Rossini was buried there for a short
time before taken to Italy and his mausoleum still remains. Even Callas was
there before her burial at sea. The highlight over all is the resting place
of Frederic Chopin. I don't think it is ever without fresh flowers. Georges
Bizet, Sarah Bernharte, Colette, Isadora Duncan, Eugene Delacroix, Theodore
Gericault, Eugene Scribe, Oscar Wilde, Marcel Proust, Edith Piaf, Modigliani
and many others. I must mention that the much decorated hero (Legion of
Honour) of the Crimean War, Dominique Lablache, one of the sons of my
ancestor Lablache, has a mausoleum there with his wife Marie Battu a 19
century French opera singer. Beside the cemeteries I've mentioned this
amazing little book covers Les Invalides, the Paris Catacombes, Saint
Vincent etc.

I wish somebody would do a book like this on the London cemeteries, which
are varied and many.(There are several books but I've not seen them.) My
favourites being Kensal Green and Highgate. Of course I have relatives
buried there too!

This book reviewed by "Sunset" "Keister has done for cemeteries what Audubon
did for birding"

Clarissa Lablache