Subject: They missed her
From: Charles Handelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 13 Oct 2016 00:42:07 -0400

Damn!!!! They missed her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recall one Carmen program that prepared audience for shots in act three
Carmen. The cannon that went off in tonight's Italiana, as Isabella enters
scared the doodoo out of us! Honestly, it was SCARY!  Sadly it missed Mme.
Pizzolato,who might make a fair Countess Ceprano, but who was as devoid of
voice as can be. Von Stade,Marsee,etc. did not have to be Marilyn Horne or
Conchita Supervia, but they PROJECTED. This was absolutely awful, just a
tiny little light voice of no possible consequence
.
Wonderful tenor discovery,Rene Barbera, has a superb voice witrh total
squillante,style, and beauty of tone, but it was downhill after his aria.
The usually mediocre Abradzakov has a blustery tone that cannot "spit out"
those Rossini lines as for example a Corena or a Ruggero Raimondi. I do not
know why he is the "Siepi of this day," as he gets everything.

  Even on a Jewish holiday, I can get angry at the Met...but what a "colpo
di cannone!