Subject: Re: Guillaume Tell
From: Andrea Julian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 8 Oct 2016 14:12:28 -0400

I have seen both presentations of Guillaume Tell by San Francisco Opera,
first in 1992 for the Rossini bicentennial and again in 1997. And both
times, when the orchestra started to play the familiar passages we knew from
"The Lone Ranger," murmuring spread all through the audience. I'll be at the
Met's first performance of its new production on October 18 and am curious
whether this will occur there.

The SFO archives website has cast lists. The principals were:
Tell: Timothy Noble (1992), Jean-Philippe Lafont (1997)
Arnold: Chris Merritt (both)
Mathilde: Carol Vaness (1992), Patricia Racette (1997)

Among the singers cast in the smaller roles were:
Anthony Dean Griffey (Ruodi, a fisherman, 1997)
John Relyea (Melcthal, 1997)
Stuart Skelton (Rodolphe, captain in Gessler's guard, 1997)

Andrea Julian