Subject: Re: Has "Samson et Dalila" gone the way of "Mignon"
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 12 Oct 2016 16:26:30 +0000

I love S&D too.  Visually, I prefer the SF DVD with Verrett and Domingo because Placido is much more appealing physically than Vickers.  Vocally, both men are outstanding. Also, the fact that Domingo looks  younger than Verrett, makes their relationship more plausible. I also think that Dalila's arias and duets are among the greatest for the mezzo soprano voice in all of opera.  Years ago on TV there was a Von Stade special where she, Ramey and Hadley performed excerpts of Mignon, which were very enjoyable.