Subject: Re: Tristan
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Wed, 12 Oct 2016 12:03:26 -0400

On Mon, October 10, 2016 12:42 am, Maxwell Paley wrote:
> I think there is such a thing as the "Tristan Experience" and it is
> something powerful, even life changing and metaphysical.  It's also
> something that comes about even in the face of some obvious deficiencies
> in the performance or staging, but it can also be missing even when all of
> those elements seem to be as right as can be.

The deficiencies of this new production (which I saw last Monday) are, I
think, more than the music can bear. As good as the performance is (and
listening on Sirius on opening night, it did sound very powerful), the
production is so leaden and mundane at every turn that it's ultimately a
drag on the experience. Getting carried away by the music is difficult
when you're increasingly interested in the nonsense on the stage finally
coming to an end.

--scott