Subject: Re: Has "Samson et Dalila" gone the way of "Mignon"
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 12 Oct 2016 12:01:20 -0400

I guess I'm in a minority who really like the opera.

The Verrett/Vickers video is wonderful and is a very
convincing testimonial to the effectiveness of the opera,
both musically and dramatically.

Rita Gorr was magnificent at the Met in the early sixties
and her great duet with Gabriel Bacquier the evening of
the new production is among my greatest operatic
memories. Vickers and McCracken were superb in the early
years of that production, as was Mignon Dunn, a singer of
great ability, often overlooked and underappreciated. Her
very top range was not a thing if beauty or ease, but Dalila
was mearly a perfect fit.

If the opera has patches of "filler", it also has long stretches
of greatness, including three of the most beautiful arias ever
written for the lower female voice, and lots of wonderful
orchestral effects.

The Gorr/Vickers/Blanc/Pretre EMI recording has given me
a lotta pleasure over a lotta years!

Bob