Subject: Re: Has "Samson et Dalila" gone the way of "Mignon"
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 12 Oct 2016 10:50:15 -0400

I find S&D a snooze, apart from some of Act II, but do I love the "Bacchanale" - the ultimate
in operatic hoochie-koochie music.  Alas, the dancing/staging of most Bacchanalia is an
embarrassment.  I saw a production some years ago in which the director tried to sex up the
dancing with some graphic gyrations.  But simulated copulation usually comes across as
comical and rarely works on stage.  (I assume doesn't work so well in private, either.)

MDW