Subject: Re: Has "Samson et Dalila" gone the way of "Mignon"
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 12 Oct 2016 09:58:42 -0400

Supposedly after the premiere DeMille asked Groucho Marx what he thought of
the film, and he said something along the lines that a film can never
succeed if the leading man has a bigger chest than the leading lady. DeMille
was not amused.

For those who don't know, Hedy Lamarr was one of the most amazing people
ever--not only a beautiful and talented movie star, she also invented a
communication system intended for radio-guided torpedoes. She gave the
patent to the US Navy; although not used then, it later became a basis for
modern wi-fi and Bluetooth technologies.

As to the opera, it has always been one of the few that I simply cannot
tolerate. Saint-Saens may have been the greatest musical prodigy ever, but
as with most other prodigies (other than Mozart of course) that did not
translate to brilliance as an adult.