Subject: Re: Has "Samson et Dalila" gone the way of "Mignon"
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 12 Oct 2016 09:40:12 -0400

To reverse a running joke from Blazing Saddles - "that's Hedy." (It was Harvey Korman in that
film who played "Hedley" Lamarr.)

Though I don't think the Saint-Saens opera is necessarily at the top of my list, I certainly
enjoy it when I hear/see it, and don't think it's forgettable at all.

I confess I've never seen the DeMille film. But, you know, even as classic as "The Ten
Commandments" is, I tend to think that whole genre of "biblical epic" films have not aged
well. That "Samson" was actually one of the highest-grossing films of its time - but times
have changed.

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 22:24:00 -0500, Ombrarecds <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>S&D is very forgettable, particularly with Domingo. The movie is even worse, Hedly Lamarr,
an incredibly mis cast Angela Lansbury, and the homely Victor Mature. DeMille at his worst.