Subject: Re: Has "Samson et Dalila" gone the way of "Mignon"
From: Tom Frey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 12 Oct 2016 00:35:03 -0400

I love Lakme , so there
----- Original Message -----
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 00:32:12 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for sharing this news about "Samson et Dalila". It's something to look forward to. As far as Thomas' "Mignon" is concerned, I'm sad to say that I fear it's "bitten the dust". Too bad because I recently acquired the Rise Stevens 1945 Met broadcast (in addition to the 1938 Jennie Tourel broadcast) and I found some really lovely music in it.
It's a masterpiece by no means, but I think it still deserves a hearing once every decade or so. It's hard to believe that it was once so popular that the Met put it on almost constantly in the earlier years. It could be so ideally cast these days --------- diDonato, Florez, Damrau for starters.
It would probably take a superstar lyric mezzo and lyric tenor who'd want to do it, but I guess it's not in the cards.

Les/Chicago