Subject: Berislav Klobučar (was: Berislav Klobuchar)
From: "Paul C. Brynan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 11 Oct 2016 18:04:47 -0400

Berislav KlobuŤar was a Croatian/Yugoslavian conductor based predominantly
in Vienna (Staatsoper) although he conducted at (among other theatres) La
Scala, Bayreuth, the Stockholm Opera and the Metropolitan.  Birgit Nilsson
really liked him, praised him highly in her autobiography and frequently
asked for him (her first ELEKTRA and FRAU in Stockholm).  I heard him at
the Met in those 1968 WALKURES (vacated by Karajan) as well as in
FLIEGENDE HOLLANDER with Leonie and Cornell MacNeil, and also in
LOHENGRIN (with Konya).  Back then I thought he was kind of a solid,
competent, experienced routinier, particularly after hearing Karajan in the
Metís RHEINGOLD and WALKURE.  Iíll have to go back and re-listen.  And
yes, those casts were really something and spoiled me for life.  Any
WALKURE where the distaff side includes Birgit Nilsson, Leonie Rysanek and
Christa Ludwig (to say nothing of Jon Vickers as Siegmund) is definitely hot

Modify your settings: