Subject: Berislav Klobuchar
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 11 Oct 2016 15:00:53 -0400

I was listening to a Sirius broadcast of a 1968 'Walküre' yesterday with
Nilsson, Vickers, and Rysanek.  (This, by the way, is what great Wagner
singing sounds like, for those entranced by the current Met 'Tristan'.)  The
reading of the score was magnificent, and so unlike the superficial
treatment Levine gave Wagner for years.  Never have I heard such a grand
sweep to the end of Act I, and the introduction to Act II was hair-raising,
matched only by Furtwängler in my opinion. Given the date I assumed it was
Karajan, knowing that he did a cycle in NY around that time.  But the
conductor turned out to be Berislav Klobukchar, about whom I know nothing.
Does anyone have memories of his 'Ring'?

Thanks.