Subject: Re: Peter Allen - RIP
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 10 Oct 2016 22:50:50 -0400

Peter Allen was truly the voice of the Met for me. I started listening to the broadcasts a
year or two after he took over the job, and of course I've never stopped listening to them
since.

But the really funny story for me - and I think I may have mentioned this before - is that I
knew that voice from earlier in my childhood, and I never even realized it was him. My
father owned an LP called "Stereo Sound Spectacular," which was a "test album" of sorts,
meant to extol the virtues of new recording techniques in the early days of stereo. Bits of
sound clips of various sorts introduced by a narrator - and you guessed it - the voice was
Peter Allen. But somehow it wasn't until searching for an archival digital copy of the album
online, and listening to it again, many years removed from my youth, that it hit me - whoa
- that was Peter Allen, and in all these years of hearing him on the Met broadcasts, I never
equated him with the guy on the stereo test album. But hearing it now, it's hard NOT to
recognize that voice.

Side one of the album (which was really the whole thing - I can't remember what was on
side 2, but it wasn't Allen or the same format) is on youtube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tly3aLdFeM

A 2nd story of sorts, I suppose - an ex of mine from some years back, who was not a huge
opera fan, but would sometimes listen to the broadcasts with me, used to make light fun of
other people doing the promos or intermission features, etc, when they would be introduced
by Mr. Allen and respond with "thank you, Peter." My bf would then go into a litany of
sexually suggestive, coy echoes of "thank you, Peter" - it was one of those "you had to be
there" moments, but it was actually pretty funny. (As I found out, he passed away last
year, way too young. But that's another story.)

Anyway, rest in peace, Mr. Allen. And, thank you, Peter. ;-)

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 21:54:37 +0000, Bruce Prentice <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Sad to hear this news.  I began listening to the radio Met broadcasts just as Mr. Allen
took over from Mr. Cross.He had a distinctive voice like a teacher, but was easy to listen to
and I never felt he "talked down" to the audience, nor talked to us like children.  He was
definitely old-style school of broadcasting voice delivery, but it worked for me.

>I will always treasure his broadcast Met introductions and his long career with them.  I
believe right up until he signed off, he never missed one of his scheduled Met broadcasts
which is an amazing thing in itself