Subject: Re: Tristan
From: Jean Scarr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 10 Oct 2016 11:25:28 -0400

I have many thoughts about "Tristan", but will wait until I see it at the Met on Oct. 17.  Briefly, I thought that the musical forces were excellent. I heard the opening night stream and also saw the HD.  Even in the close up advantage of the latter did I find it very difficult to see the stage much less smaller projections.  It was so dark both in the absence of light and in concept.  I have many quarrels with the concept, but I must say that the dramatic impact on the viewer was extraordinary.  I was most annoyed by the large cut in the second act. The concept destroyed the character of Tristan.

I have done some preliminary research on the background of the Tristan legend because if, as some have written, that in this production Tristan burned down his home, where did that come from? Was the lighter symbolic of his being a pyromaniac? So far I do not find a reason for this, but perhaps some of you may have the answer.

I agree with Steve that visually, less is more in the piece.  Am I looking forward to SEEING this again, I am not sure.  However, I can hardly wait to LISTEN to this most sublime of all scores.

Steve, I just finished listening to the recording you recommended of "William Tell".  Hopefully I will see a production which allows us to SEE the action.  Jean