Subject: Re: Tristan
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 9 Oct 2016 21:42:37 -0700

I’m very saddened to see people feeling uncomfortable to voice their opinions.

There are people on this site with a great deal of experience in the world of opera, but experience doesn’t guarantee insight and it certainly doesn’t negate or invalidate other opinions, which I can tell you would be warmly welcomed by many of us.

This has been a very intense time for me at work, so I haven’t been able to hear the opera on Sirius, in HD or in New York.  However, what you describe is something that I’ve felt is a particular experience of this work.

I think there is such a thing as the “Tristan Experience” and it is something powerful, even life changing and metaphysical.  It’s also something that comes about even in the face of some obvious deficiencies in the performance or staging, but it can also be missing even when all of those elements seem to be as right as can be.

I’ve seen, maybe, 12 to 15 performances of likely 9 or 10 productions so far live in the house.  Of those, I’ve had “The Tristan Experience” twice.

Please don’t hold back on the commentary.  And if you get disagreements and even insults, so what?  That’s what the delete key is for.

Max Paley