Subject: Re: Tristan
From: Estelle Gilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 9 Oct 2016 07:44:43 -0700

.

I agree with Kathy that it was wonderful - including aspects of the
production.   And I too am seeing it live, so will also reevaluate.

The production couldn't have been uglier.  When the porthole with the
ship and sea and exploding smoke stack turned up, I shut my
eyes..  But it did one thing for the opera that I'd never seen in any
production.   Because it was set in a ship - in a confined space, it
allowed for the director to invoke much more intensity - subtleties
of movement and reaction which enhanced the details of the drama.

Yes, I missed the larger, grander, underlying universal angst that
Wagner's orchestra  is telling us about.
Can hardly wait to see it.

Estelle
San Diego