Subject: Re: Tristan
From: William Prien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 9 Oct 2016 10:24:53 -0400

I was in the house yesterday for the matinee.

It was certainly a mixed bag as far as the individual performers went.

I was not at all impressed with Nina Stemme. Her voice is about two
sizes too small to be a really commanding Isolde, and she is incapable
of any legato singing. She has a bad vocal habit of always taking a
little gasp before the higher notes.

She even took a breath before her first high C in Act 2 while the
orchestra paused for a second or two. Very odd.

Stuart Skelton has no business singing Wagner, let alone Tristan.

His voice was often drowned out by the orchestra, and his voice is not
at all dramatic or heroic.

If he keeps pushing his voice in these types of roles, his career will
be over in a couple of years.

Gubanova was OK as Brangane but a bit wobbly sometimes.

When Rene Pape entered and sang his first notes as King Marke, we were
instantly transported to an entirely different vocal world. His rich and
resonant bass voice rang out with stature and volume. Here was the first
and only true Wagnerian voice of the

performance.

Nitikin howled and bellowed as Kurwenal, making me cringe overtime the
character came onstage.

The conducting of Simon Rattle was overall quite good but far from
great. He had a rather start and stop way with the score, and I had a
few quibble about some balances within the orchestra, but overall a good
performance.

At any rate Rattle's conducting was a far improvement over Levine's
stodgy, unsensual and lethargic way with Wagner.

The  Met Orchestra was excellent.

The production was an absolute mess. It had no sensual atmosphere, and
no outdoor feeling, which is necessary in Tristan.

The was way too much unnecessary stage business that had nothing to do
with the story.

There were the obligatory trench coat for Isolde-awful.

There were, in all fairness, some amazing lighting effects, but they had
nothing whatsoever to do with the story.

They need to ship this Euro-trash garbage heap back from whence it came
asap!

Just my two cents........

Bill P.