Subject: Has "Samson et Dalila" gone the way of "Mignon"
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 7 Oct 2016 14:22:50 -0400

I love French Opera a lot, and after thinking about a lot of operatic
stuff, I've come to the conclusion that Thomas' "Mignon" is obviously been
consigned to oblivion.  Too bad because I love the opera, despite the snobs
who dismiss it as pure "hokum".
     Unfortunately, I'm starting to think the same thing about another opera
I really love ----- Saint-Saen's "Samson et Dalila".  I saw it in my early
twenties here in Chicago (Jon Vickers and Grace Bumbry) and much later
starring Placido Domingo and Shirley Verrett in San Francisco.  There's also
a fabulous DVD of it from Covent Garden starring Vickers and Verrett
---------- a really "hot" performance.
     The Met hasn't staged it in a decade; Chicago hasn't done it since
1989, when it starred Domingo and Agnes Baltsa.  I know the opera is
considered more of an "oratorio" than a real opera, but it's so much fun,
and given a grand production, can certainly conjure up the illusion of the
"great old days of grand opera".  I'm very partial to the music, as well as
with the staging possibilities.
      Then I started thinking:  Is there a dramatic tenor today capable of
doing it?
Perhaps Kaufmann (probably), but I can't seem to come up with a mezzo or
contralto with the body and voice to do Dalila full justice.  Is this the
problem, or has the opera simply "gone out of vogue".  If it is, I have to
say that I miss it terribly and would love a Met or Chicago revival