Subject: Re: Guillaume Tell
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 7 Oct 2016 13:47:04 -0400

It's always interesting to notice when classical/opera turns up on TV shows.

When I was a kid, one of the ABC political news shows used a classical theme. But I wasn't
aware of it until, in an afterschool arts program in junior high, they played us a recording of
Carmina Burana. When it got to the "Uf Dem Anger" instrumental interlude, I remember
blurting out, "whoa - that's 'Issues And Answers'!"

And my first exposure to Candide was as the the theme music to the Dick Cavett show, also
when I was a kid.

One of the oddest examples - well, I used to be a big Guiding Light fan, lol - there was this
plot with one of the big evil CEO's, Alan Spaulding (then played by Ron Raines, who some of
you may know as an operetta/musical theatre baritone), where the background music used
in the scenario was from Tosca. I actually got to meet Mr. Raines a few years ago (he was
singing with the Boston Pops), and I asked him about that - and I remember him saying
something to the effect that he thought Spaulding was an opera fan.

There was another Guiding Light subplot, involving a young man (Matt) falling in love with
an older, sophisticated woman (Vanessa) - and she brings him to see an opera. Fittingly,
the opera was Rosenkavalier. (And no, I don't remember if they actually used any music or
not - but clearly the writers knew their opera enough to throw in the ironic reference.)