Subject: Re: Guillaume Tell
From: RAYMOND GOUIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Oct 2016 19:22:56 -0400

I have always enjoyed William Tell, it's detractors notwithstanding.  Yes, tastes and mores change, but Rossini's genius still stands.  As to the overture, I hear it occasionally on the radio.  When I do, I stop what I am doing if possible so as to be able to luxuriate in the magnificence of the composition.  This is one of those works where familiarity often brings contempt, and that is the last thing that this work deserves.

As to "The Lone Ranger", those that remember the connection are a dying breed.  It is totally unknown to millennials, even with reruns (new episodes in the original series ended in 1957).

Sometimes there are advantages to being older.  One is the thrill of having been a child watching -- in black and white -- the opening of each episode:   "A fiery horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust and a hearty 'Hi-yo Silver' - the Lone Ranger! ... The Lone Ranger rides again! ..."

Best.

Ray

***