Subject: Guillaume Tell
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Oct 2016 17:58:23 -0400

I have been listening to Rossini's "Guillaume Tell" in preparation for a visit to NY later this
month to hear the Met's new production (complete with rape - the production, I mean, not
my own planned activities).  It has been ages since I listened to this opera and I have been
bowled over by the magnificence of the music.  Yes, it is very long - it will be interesting to
see what and how much the Met cuts in performance, not too much I hope - but it has
many moments of splendor,  including exciting choruses and thrilling vocalism.  For those
who do not know this opera, I strongly encourage you to make its acquaintance.  It will be
well worth your while.

I have not listened to the famous Overture in probably 15 years and so hearing it again was
almost like coming to it fresh.  Try to forget "The Lone Ranger" and imagine the impact this
stunner must have made on first hearing.  I don't think there is a more exciting overture in
the entire operatic repertoire.

The recording I have been listening to is the 1972 EMI with Bacquier, Gedda and Caballe,
conducted by Gardelli.  I got this in the mid-70s and have not listened to it in donkey's
years.  It is magnificent in all respects.

BTW, if anyone wants to hear G.T. in Italian, there is a corker of a recording on Decca with
Pavarotti, Freni and Milnes conducted by Chailly.  I've been listening to that, too, although
over all I prefer the opera in French.

Modify your settings: