Subject: Re: simplification
From: ANGELO MAMMANO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Oct 2016 14:10:54 -0400

Thanks for the info on Simionato. I saw able to see her just once.  It was Amneris in Boston

on the same tour that she sang Dalila, but not in Boston.  Curtis-Verna was the excellent Aida.

A long-time Met chorister who was retiring that season told me that Simionato  had a respiratory

problem and wasn't happy about accepting the tour engagement.  Of course in the fall the Met

was to open the new Met at Lincoln Center and he had to take part in rehearsals for the Barber work

even though he would not be with the company at that time.  His name was Carlo Tomanelli and was

known as the deepest bass in the chorus. Old timers will recognize his name.

Ca va sans dire that I loved Simionato and she was just as fine as I had hoped for.

Angelo from Boston