Subject: Re: simplification
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Oct 2016 13:53:30 -0400

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 10:07 AM, ANGELO MAMMANO <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Simionato did sing Dalila with the Met on tour starting with Cleveland,
> but in Italian.

Though I adore her Eboli, Amneris, and Azucena, I think Simionato's French
repertory was quite important and sometimes she sang it in French.
According to the San Francisco Opera archive, she made her U.S. debut with
them as Charlotte in Massenet's WERTHER and it was performed in French. But
it was Thomas' heroine Mignon that figured prominently in her career,-- it
was her turning point at La Scala and I believe one of her favorite roles.
She sang it in both French and Italian, depending on the performance
language of the house (the point that Bob already raised). That said, I
heard that there was a curious situation of bilingual (and possibly even
multilingual!) performance of MIGNON at Chicago. She sang her role in
French but then switched to Italian whenever onstage with her Wilhelm
Meister who apparently didn't know his role in French.

Best, Vesna