Subject: Never say 'never' if you don't want a lot of holes poked in your assertions
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Oct 2016 14:39:56 +0000

OK, Les, after I sent you a number examples of Italian singers (Noni, Amato, Pinza, Giaiotti, Martinelli, Casapietrta, del Monaco, Sereni) having sung Wagner and Strauss in German offline yesterday, another *absolute* pronouncement!

" Great Italian singers like Ponselle, Muzio, Tebaldi, Stella, Cossotto,
>    Barbieri, Stignani, Simionato, Freni, Pavarotti, Bergonzi, etc to my
>    knowledge never ventured out of the Italian language in the roles they
>    undertook"

Do you even consider looking in (for one) the Met Archives before writing such things?
Might you recall that Pavarotti sang LA FILLE DU RÉGIMENT in French at the ROH, the Met and on records? The turning point in his career.

In exactly what language do you suppose Ponselle (born in CT), Cossotto, Barbieri and Bergonzi sang CARMEN with the Met? And Cossotto Carmen in Vienna? And Cossotto Dalila at the Met?
Claudia Muzio sang 15 performances of Berthe in LE PROPHÈTE at the Met, starting with a New Production with a famed Neapolitan tenor , one "Enrico Caruso"; they both sang in French.
Can't you suggest a trend (you'd be right) without making an absolute pronouncement?
Cheers - David Shengold