Subject: Re: Bonynge Interview about Pavarotti
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 5 Oct 2016 08:42:08 -0700

Frank, nobody is saying that it's good or healthy to engorge yourself.

Do you really think that someone on this list dismissing (rightly or wrongly) the ills of bad eating habits is going to have an effect on others' behavior?

I'm certainly not championing obesity.  I'm just saying that there's no known direct causality between obesity and liver or pancreatic cancer.  There are statistics that indicate a greater tendency toward cancers among obese people in general, but no direct cause.  Also, liver and pancreatic cancer occur among very fit, athletic and healthy types who eat "clean." There are also plenty of obese gluttons who don't get cancer.

Maybe within a few years there will be a breakthrough, but right now doctors don't have clear causality (including hereditary factors) to indicate who will or won't get cancer.  Statistics give an indication of probability but not a direct connection.

So, with regard to Pavarotti and Botha, we can say that their eating habits and physical condition made it likely something bad was going to happen.  But we can't know that this caused their cancers.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPad