Subject: Rosenkavalier in Boston
From: Angelo Mammano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 5 Oct 2016 11:38:13 -0400

On October 1 I attended a semi-staged Rosenkavalier at S. Hall with Renee
Fleming, Susan Graham, Franz Hawlata,  Stephen Costello, Graham Clark
(Valzacchi), Jane Henschel  (Annina), et al.  This was a high-powered cast
and with Nelsons on the podium and with the BSO playing it was something
that I could not miss.  There was a couch for the Marschallin and Octavian
in Act 1, various other props during the opera and several changes of
costume for Octavian.  It was certainly one of the best Rosenkavaliers I
have ever seen and heard,  My seat was in the second balcony directly
overlooking the conductor, orchestra and singers and what a view!  I love
watching Nelsons, the way he conducts the next downbeat, the way he
cues the instrumental soloists and the singers.  Fleming- in no way should
she close down the operatic part of her career. Her voice sounds fresh and
youthful and she phrases like the great artist she most certainly is. Graham
was in great voice and Hawlata was the best Ochs I have ever seen or
heard.  Costello sang the aria beautifully - he had to wait until the end of
the opera to get his ovation.

The applause went on for over 10 minutes and unlike at the Met everyone
stayed for the curtain calls - four and a half hours after it began. Now  I
can forward to the Brahms Requiem on Friday with Hampson and Tilling as
soloists and again with Nelsons conducting.

Angelo from Boston