Subject: Re: lyric opera
From: Mike Leone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 4 Oct 2016 21:09:29 +0000

Elsa--
I wish I had a good answer to your question.  I too was hoping to see Don Quichotte in Chicago, as it is my favorite Massenet opera after, in no particular order, Esclarmonde, Manon, and Thaïs, and it doesn't come around all that often.  At the time I was checking, the LOC website was arrogantly proclaiming in essence that ticket prices are carefully based on demand so you may as well get your ticket now because prices are only going to go up.  Anyway, I ended up canceling my plans for that particular Chicago trip.
I am talking about the seats up with the gods, by the way, which is where I normally sit and have happily sat for many years.  I don't know how the orchestra seats compare to their former cost.
Back in 2009 I had tickets for Tristan and Butterfly at LOC during the first month or two of the year.  I ended up having to return those tickets because the business trip to Milwaukee that I was going to be on got postponed until late April, and I'm certain I didn't pay anywhere near the price for those seats that LOC is asking for them now.
Something similar seems to have affected Washington National Opera.  I was just in DC over this past weekend, and nosebleed seats for Le nozze di Figaro were also through the roof.  I just saw at the Kennedy Center that wonderful production of Cenerentola with all the mice that I saw in Houston a few years back (anybody who calls them rats is obviously not familiar with the Disney cartoon) a year ago last May and prices were nothing like that.  Nonetheless, the performance this past Saturday of Figaro was completely sold out about a week in advance.
My theory is that the wealthy donors and patrons are tapped out and so these companies are having to raise their prices for the cheapest seats in order to try to meet costs.  I'm guessing that a lot of the people buying those seats (now) are wealthy ones who would never dream of paying $20-35 for a top balcony seat, but who would happily pay $140 for the exact same seat.  So in essence, these companies have found a new source of sales to its wealthiest attendees, and those without those kinds of resources are thanked for their past support and forgotten about.
I go to the Met several times a year for two to four operas each time--I get a season subscription, then swap out tickets, and outright buy the remainder--and I also have season tickets for Houston Grand Opera.  I imagine I had better count my blessings while I can because I am guessing that eventually the family circle type seats at these venues (and elsewhere) are also going to start going through the roof, and then I'll have to rely on DVDs.  Fortunately, I can buy three DVDs of Don Quichotte for what it would cost me for one ticket to see it from the cheapest seats at LOC...
Mike Leone
[log in to unmask] il Leone!