Subject: Re: Tenor Antonio Poli (The Alfredo in Sofia Coppola La Traviata)
From: Tom Wikman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 4 Oct 2016 20:16:01 +0000

Actually, There were two wonderful German lieder singers who were Italian.Cesare Siepi and Cesare Valletti. As a matter of fact, considering that Siepi is the most listened to by all my basso friends, I've always had a little trick up my sleeve that I like to pull on them. I'll play Siepi singing some Brahms lieder, and ask them to identify the singer. Not one of these guys, professional singers all, have been able to name him! I mean, Siepi is a pretty identifiable voice, but as a German singer, he's just not on their radar. It drives them nuts; the voice is so familiar, but who could it be? A fun party record. Siepi did sing 9 performances of Gurnemanz, and 1 of Fernando in Fidelio at the Met. Of his first Parsifal, critic Herbert Weinstock wrote: "As Gurnemanz, Cesare Siepi was a revelation and somehow managed to keep at the inescapable minimum the boredom inseparable from the character's verbosity; he really sang the role rather than growling it and acted with touching conviction. Siepi articulated Wagner's words (so I was told by those better acquainted with German than I am) as though born to them."