Subject: Is Amneris an Egyptian name and other Egyptian lore
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 3 Oct 2016 14:16:46 -0400

Sounds "Greekish" to me.

Also, crowing with laurels is Graeco-Roman, not Egyptian.

I was reading in Osborne's The Complete Operas of Verdi  that the libretto's source could be a play by Metastasio.

Also, the ancient historian Manethos and Herodotus "Hellenized" some of the names of Egyptian Pharaohs, i.e., Menes instead of Narmer (but they might have been two separate people).

I have fantasized that Amneris was the mother of Moses, but the time period for the opera is too late (supposedly late XX dynasty, after Rameses III).

Modify your settings: