Subject: Re: Katia Ricciarelli
From: "Takis Pavl." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 1 Oct 2016 08:52:21 +0000

Katia Ricciarelli in her fach and prime was one of my favourite sopranos. Luisa Miller, Amelia in Simon Boccanegra, Lucrezia in Foscari, Lida in Battaglia di Legnano, Mimi, Anna Bolena, Desdemona, Giovanna D'Arco, Lucrezia Borgia, Suor Angelica, Leonora in Trovatore, Giulietta, Amenaide, Maria di Rudenz, Argelia in Esule di Roma, the Verdi Requiem, all in the 70s and early 80s were all wonderful examples of her singing with a gorgeous voice and pathos. The good years were until 1984 more or less so that's about 15 years of singing big roles in important houses.

People seem quick to dismiss her technique as bad but didn't the prime of a lot of sopranos last about 15 years? She was 40 in 1986 and Callas at 40 had worse problems. Katia was the classic case of a mere lyric soprano with a lot of ambition but not a spinto enough instrument to pursue it. The heavier roles made her push, causing serious diction problems (possibly the worst among Italian sopranos), a terrible wobble on the top and erratic intonation. Her performances in recent years are excellent party tape material.

Takis